I’ve been really inspired by a great campaign happening in Melbourne right now that’s being run by the non-profit organisation, St Kilda Mums. I thought my blog and Instagram reach was a good opportunity to share the idea of this lovely initiative, and hopefully also help some Sydney women out in the process. It’s all about letting another mother know you are thinking of her on Mother’s Day. She might be living in a refuge, her house might have burnt down, she might be homeless. It’s really easy to help, just follow these 5 steps that are also outlined on the St Kilda Mums website:
Make up a gift bag of new women’s toiletries. Choose a nice toiletry bag and fill it with everything you would need if you had nothing (above is the selection I purchased at my local discount pharmacy, with a toiletry bag from Sportsgirl).
Include a note for another mother to let her know you care
Take a photo of your gift pack and share it on Instagram or Facebook with the #onemothertoanother
Pack in a small box and include your name and address so that we can send you a thank you note.
If you’d like to help a Sydney Mum post the box to:
Manly Women’s Shelter/Community Centre
Att: Anona Lepage
12 Wentworth Street Manly 2095
Note: I spoke to Anona, who helps women Sydney-wide, not only in Manly. She described that giving a gift like this would be giving a Mum a hug, which I thought was lovely.
If you’d like to help a Melbourne Mum post the box to:
St Kilda Mums
5 Vale Street St Kilda 3182
Even if ten of my readers get involved, we’ve done something!
I thought it was time I shared some love in time for Mother’s Day, so along with some of my favourite (and very generous) brands, I’ve pulled together one huge prize pack (valued at over $1000.00) for one very lucky Mum out there. I’ll be announcing and running the giveaway on Instagram on Sunday 26th April, and I’ll draw the winner a week later. If you don’t follow me on Instagram, you’ll find me @sunday_collector. I can’t wait to surprise a deserving Mumma out there with these decadent goodies – gift giving is just the best.
Here’s what is included in the exciting haul:
• The habbot studios footwear collection is a luxury range of Italian leather shoes designed in Australia by Annie Abbott and made in Italy. The luxury brand based in Melbourne has just released some gorgeous new pieces which I’m so excited to include in the prize pack – a super soft and cute Pom Pom Beanie and a pair of totally exquisite Leather Gloves, which will be perfect for the chillier months coming up. Valued at $179.00
• My favourite bottle of bubbly just had to be included, and Logan Wines have generously contributed 6 bottles of their Vintage ‘M’ Cuvee. Made from the classic champagne varieties of chardonnay, pinot noir and pinot meunier, yet breaks with tradition in that it is comprised of roughly equal amounts of each variety. Being two-thirds red grapes, the wine is a stunning salmon colour. Drink up Mumma, I say! Valued at $210.00.
• The It Kit is a brand I’m really excited to share with you on here. It’s all about unique gift concepts and the website showcases a range of gift packs to suit everyone in your life. You can also create your own kit, which is such an easy way to shop! Included in the prize pack is a ‘Thinking of You Kit‘. It’s a prize pack in itself for a lucky Mum out there and it is full of heart-warming and pampering products. The lovely selection includes a Murphy & Daughters Bergamot, Pink Grapefruit and Rose Geranium Hand Cream, Husk Harmony Loose Leaf Tea, The Wellbeing Corner Greeting Cards (includes 12 cards and 12 envelopes), Jacqueline Evans Rose & Vanilla Bath Salts, All Things Nice Sugar Dusters, Smith & Co. Cucumber, Mint, Sage Candle, all packaged beautifully in a White ‘It Kit’ Gift Box. The Kit is valued at $136.95
• I’ve often sung the praises of one of my favourite designer/artists of all time, Rachel Castle (she’s also a devoted Mum and just so funny too, if you don’t follow her on Instagram – do). I was so pleased when she generously contributed a super cute Apricot Heart Pillowcase and a Peach Swatch Velvet Cushion Cover (this combo would look so lovely with plain white waffle bed linen). Valued at $98.00
• Another well known homewares brand, Have You Met Miss Jones (you’ll probably recognise her classic bone china range) has kindly offered a set of 4 latte cups in grey and a very sweet hand carved wood board with a heart design on the handle. Valued at $108.00
• Superstar stylist (and another devoted Mum) Megan Morton has totally come to the party with a very generous ticket to her 3 hour kids’ room decorating workshop that will be held at The School in Sydney on 16th July 2015. The cherry on top? Included on the night is all materials, snacks and a copy of Megan’s I LOVE MY ROOM book by Thames & Hudson. Total contribution valued at $230.00
• A classic gift for Mum is a beauty product, which is why I’ve included a lovely Body Butter and Cleanser from Skinfood, which is a New Zealand made, natural skin care company. Valued at $33.00
• The Woodsfolk, which is a favourite online destination of mine for gift buying has also contributed to the exciting prize pack with a very cute Pastel Garland. Valued at $39.00.
While you’re on the website, check out their Mothers Day Shopping guide – you’ll see a little collection of my fave picks on there.
• A triple scented Glasshouse Santorini candle that’s handmade in Australia – an ethereal mix of sweet Blue Jasmine draped in cool refreshing Ivy. Valued at $39.95.
Besides the odd pork bun from Yum Cha, Sunday’s favourite food in the world would have to be pasta, so you can imagine that she’s rather impressed by her new Pasta Amore bed linen from Sack Me! I’ve been a big fan of the label from the beginning, a quirky children’s bedding brand that launched in 2013. The owner and designer Li-Ann has a background in Architecture and Interiors, and found a gap in the market when trying to source bed linen for her very cute twin boys. Li-Ann’s designs take a light hearted look at every day objects, she uses bold colours and her designs have big personality (you may have seen the very popular Sundae design before, so cute). Not only are the designs whimsical and fun for the littles (baby cots included), what I personally love the most about the range is the quality – all the bed linen is made from 100% cotton sateen, and is really lovely to touch. And the really good bit? If you type in the code sundaycollector20 you will receive 20% off the range at the checkout.
The gorgeous and talented Li-Ann kindly took a moment out of her busy day to answer some questions for me:
Tell us a little about your background- what was your first job and what path led you to starting Sack Me? I studied Architecture at the University of Sydney and even though it was a very technical course, I was still able to dabble in electives such as photography, screen printing, ceramics and life drawing which sustained me through those 6 years!
Upon graduating, I worked at various commercial practices but soon after the arrival of my twin boys in 2010 I wasn’t able to return to full time practice. The need for a creative outlet gave rise to a graphic design business (ham&pea) that grew along with the boys and fast forward 5 years, Sack Me! was born!
My first job was working at Baker’s Delight wearing those fancy baker’s hat whilst I was at Uni, trying to earn some spare change so I could buy a ticket to see Ricky Martin in concert (true story!) but my first (real) job was working as a Junior Architect at Peddle Thorp and Walker (PTW) in Sydney.
Can you tell us some resources (website/books etc) that inspire you and/or influences your designs? I get a lot of my inspiration from my kids, travel and everyday interaction with people and my immediate surroundings. I don’t actually go to any one specific website for inspiration. I do enjoy The Cool Hunter, I hop on to Pinterest occasionally ( I really ought to do it more!), I am on Instagram daily and do find some treasures through there. The Design Files, Design Sponge are other blogs I subscribe to.
What does a typical day at work for you usually involve? After the morning mayhem of kids and school drop offs, I settle back into my desk at around 930am and start the day. There really isn’t a typical day as such. It really does depend on what tasks needs to be done and it can vary from designing for the new collections, or fine tuning samples, preparing for a photoshoot, corresponding with retailers, suppliers, emails, emails and more emails! Sometimes we get to visit our retailers which is one of the things I really enjoy doing (that face-to-face interaction with our stockists is something we prioritise doing). There is usually a break from about 3.30pm where I pick the kids and do wife/mum stuff around the house and when the kids are in bed, I jump back online and try and get through as much of my to-do list as possible when I’m not procrastinating!
What’s a dream you would like to see come to reality?
Opening our own bricks & mortar store!
What are you reading?
Daring and Disruptive by Lisa Messenger – highly recommend it.
Where would we find you on a typical Sunday morning?
In Church wearing our Sunday best ; )
Where was the last good meal you ate?
We were out last week celebrating a good friend’s birthday at Tonka Restaurant and the food and service has been consistently good. The cocktail menu is always a highlight.
What are you looking forward to?
As we wrap up our Melbourne stint and prepare to move back to Sydney, I’m looking forward to enjoying the best of Melbourne with family and friends in the next few months and I’m also extremely excited about how the next season designs are coming along and cannot wait to get sampling started.
Thanks Li-Ann, really look forward to seeing what you come up with next!
A lovely screen-printed box arrived this week all the way from San Fransisco. I love learning about a brand I’ve never heard of, so I thought I’d share it with you on here; Happy French Gang is a textile company that make swaddling blankets, throws, rugs, pillows and curtains. Sandra Dejanovic launched the business in 2013 and makes all the products by hand with heavy natural cotton from India. I couldn’t resist the pastel hues and the super bright stitched edges in the range, and especially loved the pink & orange combination in the Cloudy Blanket…which is now happily at home in our living room.
The super generous size of the blanket would make it a perfect end of bed throw, as well as a great picnic or towel rug. I love her!
I hope you are all having a great week,